Tuesday, February 09, 2010

not very often...

... that you will have a real good relationship with your boss that will last even after he/she is no longer your boss.
In ADB, I am very blessed to have worked with the most independent, most organized and kindest supervisors/mentors(lawyers) (ever)... As of to-date, I have assisted 7 Professional Staff (the first six are lawyers from my first department: 1 American, 2 New Zealanders, 1 Italian, 1 French-Swiss, 1 British and currently, 1 Japanese). The American is a very fine lady who already retired in 2008 but returned for a few months as consultant in July-October 2009. While she was away (after retirement), we still get in touch thru email, by the way, her name is Bobbi, her husband, also a very fine man named Yogi(Nepalese) has become a friend up until now and he sends emails occasionaly. Here's a picture of Bobbi and me, she brought her camera in the office on her last reporting day to have this photo taken, how sweet is that! ;)
Another boss which has become a friend even after I left my first department is Mr. Ashraf, the British (Pakistani roots), he was my last boss in OGC, I assisted him for nearly a year. Of all the bosses I had, he's the one who from time to time finds time to chat and know about how I am and how my personal life is going. He's like a father to me, he was also one of the first people I met when I joined ADB, he interviewed me, it didn't feel like an interview actually, "formal chatting," if there's such a thing. Yesterday, we had lunch at the Podium, that was the third time, the first was more than a year ago, when I officially started assisting him in December 2008, the second was a "send-off lunch" in November 2009, before I transferred to another department. I look forward to this kind of lunch because you get to know your boss, you get updated on each other's life and in a way, you get to know how can you communicate with foreign nationals for more than an hour straight (nosebleed ito;) but so much fun and at the same time mentally enticing). Here's a photo of Mr. Ashraf, he attended a friend/officemate's wedding in 2 January 2010 with us. He's the one beside me.

Yesterday, he gave me some inputs on where to go in Kuala Lumpur because he learned tha I will be going there in April. We were able to talk about a lot of things. In the course of our conversation, I asked about his latest mission (ADB term for business trip), he told me that he went to Bhutan, he said the Bhutan is a wonderful country with very warm people but very cold climate. He sent these photos via email after our lunch.

Bobbi and Mr. Ashraf (and all the rest of my bosses), thank you for treating me not only as an assistant, but a friend.

God bless you even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment